CNR Rao stresses for promoting quality science in the country
Zee Media Bureau
Chandigarh: New Delhi: Eminent Indian scientist and Bharat Ratna recipient professor CNR Rao stressed for promoting quality science in order to produce good scientists in the country.
"If India has to produce good scientists, quality science has to be promoted," Rao, who is Chairman of Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, said.
According to PTI, the scientists was delivering a lecture on `Doing Science in India` at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) on Sunday.
He said that to promote science in India, young and talented people have to be encouraged by good teachers because science is about ordinary people doing extraordinary things, adding that real science is done in small labs by crazy individuals.
Stressing that the money invested from the GDP needs to be increased like in South Korea and China, he said a scientist has to be motivated by the values of humanity, generosity and tradition as these feed the quality of his work.
He also said that a scientist can afford to be angry, especially in India to persist with science. They need to learn to face critics with a sense of humour.
"A scientist has to be mad about his work and deal with a judgmental society. Personal satisfaction and enjoyment help achieve the goal," he said.
"We have a large number of bright and sharp students in institutions like the PGI and IITs but they need to work for science in India selflessly," he added.
Praising several famous scientists of the past such as Michael Faraday about their work, he said it`s amazing how they could do it in those years with minimal facilities and grants.
Speaking on the role of media in promoting science, he said media should highlight events and news related to science in the country which is not being done frequently at the moment.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review