Colombian develops airbag vests for motorcyclists
Bogota: Seven years ago, engineer German Acevedo left his job as head of R&D for the Colombian navy to develop an innovative product aimed at saving thousands of lives: an airbag vest for motorcyclists.
His company, Tech4Riders, which already exports the vests to Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Chile and Venezuela, now is ready to market the third generation of the safety equipment, Colombia.inn reported.
"Nothing can guarantee you that you won`t die in an accident," Acevedo said in an interview with Colombia.inn. "What kills you is the energy of the accident."
The Tech4Riders vests reduce that energy and, with it, the severity of the injuries suffered.
The vests feature a combination of two mechanical systems: "one active, the airbag, and another passive, made up of smart foam" that enable "absorption indices of greater than 90 percent of the energy of the impact", Acevedo said.
"The complete system protects against blows to the neck area, the ribcage and the spinal column, which are the (zones) that generate the greatest disability," he added.
A total of 2,253 motorcyclists were killed in accidents in Colombia in 2011, accounting for 39 percent of all traffic fatalities, while 18,095 others were injured.
The Tech4Riders vests are equipped with an innovative mechanism that activates the airbag, a belt that connects the vest to the vehicle and can detect a fall or the expulsion of the motorcycle`s driver or passenger due to a collision.
In such an emergency, an injection of compressed carbonic gas inflates the inside of the vest in approximately one-tenth of a second.
The vest, which ranges in price from 300,000 pesos-800,000 pesos ($170-$430), can be complemented with extra shoulder, back, elbow and knee protection made out of a viscoelastic material initially developed by NASA for its astronauts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi