Dazzling volcano eruption seen from space
New York: The spectacular, eye-popping beauty of an erupting volcano is not to be missed if it is captured from space.
Crew aboard the International Space Station (ISS) got a rare image of the Sarychev volcano as it erupted June 12, 2009.
One of the most active volcanoes in the world, Sarychev Peak is located in the northern part of the Kuril Islands of Russia in northern Pacific.
Large explosive eruptions occurred June 11-19, 2009, sending huge ash clouds up to 14 km in the sky, forcing many flights with routes across the northern Pacific to either be cancelled or diverted.
The ISS happened to be passing over the Sarychev volcano just as it was beginning to erupt.
The volcano, one of the most active in the Kuril Islands chain, erupted in 1989, 1986, 1976 and 1946.
In the image, the plume appears to be brown ash capped with a head of white steam, a result of air rising quickly in a strong updraft, before cooling and condensing.
"The plume was so immense that it cast a large shadow on the island," said a press release from NASA Earth Observatory located in Greenbelt, Maryland, US.
On the ground, denser, gray ash, known as pyroclastic flows, can be seen.
Pic courtesy: NASA/JSC/Image Science and Analysis Laboratory
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says