Device that translates sign language into text for deaf
Washington: Researchers have developed a novel computer system that enables deaf people to translate gestures used in sign language into text.
Using the new technology, people who are deaf or hard of hearing can simply type words and sentences using a keyboard and read those typed to them, researchers said.
Researchers Microsoft Asia and the Institute of Computing Technology at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in this latest effort turned to Microsoft`s Kinect device.
They showcased the software that has been developed for the Kinect that successfully translates American Sign Language (ASL) into text, Phys.Org reported.
The system operates in two modes: The first, called simply Translation Mode, translates physical hand or body movements into text or speech.
The second, called Communication Mode, allows a person speaking in ASL to communicate with someone else who is communicating in typed English.
The system uses an Avatar to translate text coming from someone typing text on a keyboard, then converts their response to text and sends it back to the other person.
The demonstration by researchers showed that the system is capable of translating sentences, not just words, a significant step forward.
The researchers stressed that their system is still a work in progress but hope to eventually create a system that is fully functional and reasonably inexpensive.
Researchers said that would mean a Kinect based communication system that operates entirely with hand gestures and spoken words - all in real time. Also, it would allow for conversion to other sign language dialects as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in