Dinosaur excavation sites in China inundated by floods
Beijing: Flooding in northeastern China has inundated famous dinosaur excavation sites and a local museum, as workers worry dinosaur fossils may be swept away.
All four dinosaur excavation sites, located at the foot of the mountains in Jiayin County, Heilongjiang Province, have been immersed in flood water from the Heilong River, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today, quoting Liu Min, director of the Dinosaur National Geology Park`s administration centre as saying.
There are dinosaur fossils still under the excavation sites, which could turn loose and be washed away after being soaked for a long period of time, a park keeper said.
The fossils are not regenerative and the losses caused by the flood would be inestimable, said the worker.
In recent years, the county built dikes near the mountains, but they failed to resist the flood, Liu said.
With an area of 38 square km, the park opened to visitors in 2002. Several hundred fossilised dinosaur skeletons are believed to be buried underground.
Flooding from the river has also inundated the Heilong River Basin Museum, which is located on an island in Luobei County.
Flood water began to enter the museum on August 17 and reached over one metre deep in some first floor rooms today.
More than 2,000 articles on the first floor have been moved to the second floor, said Zhao Yong, curator of the museum.
The water level of the Heilong River in Luobei was 2.01 metres higher than the warning level, surpassing the previous 1984 record by 24 cm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs