Dinosaurs may not have had fleas
Washington: Paleontologists who thought dinosaurs had fleas and other parasites have revised their original theory after a new study confirmed that the insects were actually aquatic or amphibious flies.
The study, published in the journal Nature, focuses on enigmatic Jurassic insects called strashilids, the Discovery News reported.
Diying Huang of the Nanjing Institute of Geology and Palaeontology and colleagues first thought that strashilids were huge fleas.
But closer investigation of the Jurassic insects has revealed that they weren`t parasites.
Previously, their pincer-like legs were thought to help the insects cling to hosts.
Now, Huang and the other researchers have proposed that they were used for grasping mates during copulation. Fossils showing the insects having sex back this theory.
In addition, the researchers noticed that males possessed abdominal respiratory gills, which again points to a life in the water.
The creatures appear to have been highly specialized winged insects instead of parasites. They shed their wings shortly after emergence and then crawled into the water to mate. They appear to have lived at the same time dinosaurs did, leading to a case of mistaken identity, the researcher said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Revealed! Release date of Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' teaser
- Rio Olympics 2016: Australia's Cate Campbell swam with hernia, says report
- Apple buys health startup founded by Indian-origin duo
- SHOCKING! This film director wants to 'spit' on PV Sindhu's achievement in Rio Olympics
- Prakash Javadekar commits a blooper, says Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Patel, Subhas Chandra Bose were hanged