Dinosaurs may not have had fleas
Washington: Paleontologists who thought dinosaurs had fleas and other parasites have revised their original theory after a new study confirmed that the insects were actually aquatic or amphibious flies.
The study, published in the journal Nature, focuses on enigmatic Jurassic insects called strashilids, the Discovery News reported.
Diying Huang of the Nanjing Institute of Geology and Palaeontology and colleagues first thought that strashilids were huge fleas.
But closer investigation of the Jurassic insects has revealed that they weren`t parasites.
Previously, their pincer-like legs were thought to help the insects cling to hosts.
Now, Huang and the other researchers have proposed that they were used for grasping mates during copulation. Fossils showing the insects having sex back this theory.
In addition, the researchers noticed that males possessed abdominal respiratory gills, which again points to a life in the water.
The creatures appear to have been highly specialized winged insects instead of parasites. They shed their wings shortly after emergence and then crawled into the water to mate. They appear to have lived at the same time dinosaurs did, leading to a case of mistaken identity, the researcher said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP