DNA similarities help choose friends
New York: Friends are family and you choose them because they share many common genes with you.
According to an interesting study, people choose friends who have some DNA sequences in common with them.
"Humans are unique in that we create long term connections with people of our species. Why do we do that? Why do we make friends? Not only that, we prefer the company of people we resemble," said Nicholas Christakis, a social scientist at Yale University in Connecticut.
To reach this conclusion, researchers compared gene variations between 2,000 people who were not biologically related.
After analysing almost 1.5 million markers of gene variations, they found that pairs of friends had the same level of genetic relation as people did with a fourth cousin - or a great-great-great grandfather - that translates to about one percent of the human genome.
"Most people do not know who their fourth cousins are, yet we are somehow, among a myriad of possibilities, managing to select as friends the people who resemble our kin," Christakis contended.
The most common gene shared by friends was the "olfactory" gene - involved in the sense of smell.
The results suggest that choosing friends who share similar genes is a behaviour that may have contributed to human evolution.
The study appeared in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video