Dogs experience `runner`s high` like humans
Washington: This may be the reason why dogs love to `fetch`!
Dogs experience a "high" from running, similar to the `runner`s high` felt by people who run or jog frequently, a new study has found.
The study published in The Journal of Experimental Biology, described that researchers measured neurotransmitter levels in humans, dogs and ferrets as they moved on a treadmill to determine neurobiological reward levels.
Scientists have found that sensations of "runner`s high" are due to the release of neurotransmitters into the bloodstream - one of these neurotransmitter groups, known as endocannabinoids (eCBs) have the same chemical structure as THC, the chemical responsible for the high people get from marijuana.
Researchers tried to determine if other animals also experience a runner`s high, website phys.Org reported.
The team enlisted some human volunteers, several dogs and some ferrets. Each was put on a treadmill set at a pace fast enough to simulate running.
Afterwards blood samples were taken. The results showed elevated levels of eCBs for both the humans and dogs, but not in the ferrets.
In another test, the researchers slowed the pace of the treadmill to just a walk for the dogs and humans and found no change in eCB levels.
The researchers noted that both humans and dogs are part of a group known as cursorial animals - animals that have long legs meant for running.
Ferrets on the other hand, are not cursorial, thus they don`t gain any pleasure from running long distances.
The researchers believe that neurobiological rewards are a part of the evolutionary history of animals with long legs meant for running and strong lungs?they helped keep them fit.
Running, particularly when not necessary, they suggest, kept such animals in good shape allowing them to escape predators and to hunt efficiently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'