DRDO`s bio-toilets can help Swachh Bharat mission: Venkaiah
Hyderabad: The bio-toilets developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation would bring about "a revolution" in rural areas, and the government had set its sights on ending open defecation in the country, Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu today said here.
The NDA government was pushing the initiative in a bigger way than the previous government, he said. "This time we want to go in a big way. The Prime Minister has already declared `Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan`. He (PM) said by 2019 India should become Swachh Bharat. For that you need to provide toilet to each household both in rural and urban areas. This bio-toilet is something that is affordable and nature-friendly," said Naidu.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a conference on advanced avionics at DRDO research centre Imarat, Naidu said the DRDO had set up bio-toilets (called bio-digester) for army in certain areas. "Now it has to be used for civilian population also.
These affordable toilets would usher in revolutionary change in people`s lives, he added. "The PM has also talked about building separate toilets for girls at schools. There also bio-toilet can be used."
DRDO had developed many innovative products such as high nutrition food packets, mosquito repellents, mobile water treatment plants, medical equipment, etc which were useful but government departments should promote them, he said.
"I intend to promote these products in urban development ministry....Other ministries will also follow," he said.
"There is a need to take advantage of science and technology to better the lives of people," he said.
To a question on Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM), Naidu said, "JNNRUM was scrapped by the previous (UPA) government and not by me. The previous government had said JNNURM will be operational up to 2012 and then it extended it twice. On March 31, 2014 it ceased to exist."
The Centre was about to finalize a new mission in place of JNNURM, the minister added.
On a question on planning commission, Naidu said, "Planning commission has outlived its purpose. The exercise is going on to (replace) it. Nothing has been decided yet."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM