Earliest math document discovered in China
Beijing: In a major find, China`s earliest mathematics document, dating back to over 2,200 years ago and inscribed on bamboo slips has been discovered, archaeologists announced here today.
The document consists of a mathematical method from the Warring States Period (475-221 BC), according to Li Xueqin, head of the Research and Conservation Center for Excavated Texts of Tsinghua University here.
The unearthed document provides a method for the multiplication of any two whole numbers under 100 and certain fractions, said Li, a well-known historian.
The document is the earliest of its kind discovered so far and has filled in a historical blank for math documents prior to the Qin Dynasty (221 BC - 206 BC), the official Xinhua news agency quoted Guo Shuchun, director of the Chinese Society of the History of Mathematics as saying.
It is older and had greater calculating functions than other ancient multiplication tables discovered, said Guo. "It was very advanced for the world at that time and is an important discovery in the mathematical history of China and even the world."
In July 2008, Tsinghua University had acquired a rare collection of 2,500 slip bamboo items belonging to the late Warring States period, which had been smuggled out of China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report