Earth`s crust at least 4.4 bn years old: Study
Paris: A microscopic grain of Earth`s oldest known mineral has been dated to 4.4 billion years ago, shedding light on our planet`s infancy and how it came to harbour life, researchers said today.
The finding proves that Earth remained a fiery ball covered in a magma ocean for a shorter period of time after its creation than previously thought.
The Earth is thought to have formed about 4.5 billion years ago, but little is known about its early years, particularly when it became cool enough for the crust to congeal from a sea of molten rock and for liquid water to form.
Some had postulated the cooling would have required as much as 600 million years.
But the discovery in recent decades of zircon crystals, some estimated to be as old as 4.4 billion years, threw that theory into doubt, even though the minerals` age was not conclusively proven. Until now.
The new study confirms that zircon grains harvested from western Australia`s Jack Hills region crystallised with the formation of the Earth`s crust some 4.374 billion years ago, its authors said.
This was about 160 million years after the creation of the Earth and other planets in our solar system -- "much earlier than previously believed", according to a press statement.
The findings strengthen the theory of a "cool early Earth", with temperatures low enough for liquid water, oceans and a hydrosphere -- the combined mass of water on a planet -- to form not long after the crust during a period known as the Hadean.
"The study reinforces our conclusion that Earth had a hydrosphere before 4.3 billion years ago", and possibly life not long after, said study co-author John Valley, a geochemist from the University of Wisconsin Madison.
The study was conducted with a new technique called atom-probe tomography that could accurately determine the age of the miniscule mineral fragment by measuring individual lead atoms inside it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow