Efforts in US to mark Feb 12 as `Darwin Day`
Washington: As scientists the world over prepare to celebrate the 205th birthday of Charles Darwin - known as father of evolution - that falls Feb 12, US lawmaker Rush Holt has re-introduced a resolution in Congress to declare the day as `Darwin Day`.
The Washington-based American Humanist Association, that worked with Holt on Darwin Day resolution, is in the process of sending copies of the resolution to all 535 members of Congress to garner support.
“Charles Darwin is even more than the author of the theory of evolution, as great as that is. He represents a way of thinking, a philosophy, a methodology,” said Holt.
“It was his thirst for knowledge and his scientific approach to discovering new truths that enabled him to develop the theory of evolution. This lesson, about the value of scientific thinking, is almost as valuable as the theory he uncovered,” he added.
The Darwin Day resolution was first introduced in the House of Representatives in 2011 by former lawmaker Pete Stark of California. It was reintroduced by Holt in 2013.
“We’re pleased to join Holt again in support of a Congressional resolution honouring Darwin’s contributions to science and humanity,” Roy Speckhardt, executive director of the American Humanist Association, was quoted as saying in a press release issued by the International Darwin Day Foundation.
Darwin’s evolutionary discovery of natural selection as the basis for biological transformations responsible for the diversity of life on earth is the foundation of modern biology, genetics, and medicine.
Other areas of science and the humanities can also trace advancements to Darwin’s ideas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing