Elephant tooth evolution rooted in grass: Study
Paris: Once they developed a taste for grass, the ancestors of today`s elephants swiftly broadened their leaf-only diet and placed their progeny on a new evolutionary track, a study said today.
Early tuskers were moving into open grassland millions of years before their teeth were adapted to grazing, according to a paper in the journal Nature.
The research, based on analysis of the fossil remains of east African proboscideans -- the order containing mammals with tusks and trunks like elephants and mammoths -- claims to show that animal behavioural "choice" can shape the way a species evolves.
It had been known that grass "grazers" evolved from leaf "browsers" -- but not whether this happened before or after they acquired their new teeth.
In the case of proboscideans, the study showed their diet evolving about eight million years ago as a changing climate turned the African continent into a more arid place with grassland progressively replacing woodland.
While they still had access to leaves, which their teeth were adapted to chew, these early elephants rapidly started to add substantial amounts of grass to their diet.
The molars of leaf "browsers" are flatter than the higher, much more ridged and wear-resistant teeth that today`s elephants use to grind grass, which is tougher than foliage, and the soil that sticks to it.
The change in proboscidean teeth only started about three million years after the dietary shift, according to the study by palaeontologist Adrian Lister of London`s Natural History Museum.
"This long delay between the behaviour change and the evolutionary response suggests that behaviour led the way," he said in a statement.
"The theory that animal behaviour may play an important role in the origin of new adaptations has been discussed for over 100 years, but it has been very difficult to find concrete examples".
Elephants today eat grasses and herbs, leaves, tree bark, fruit and vegetables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read