Exact source of Stonehenge rocks identified
Washington: Researchers have been able to pinpoint the specific source of the Stonehenge rocks.
For nine decades, it`s been established that many of Stonehenge`s smaller rocks hail from the Preseli Hills in Wales.
The new research suggests that the rocks-known as bluestones, of which there are many types-may not have been transported there by humans at all.
As head researcher Dr. Richard Bevins explains, in 1923, geologist H.H. Thomas identified Carn Meini as the source of spotted dolerite bluestones, but a new analysis of the rocks` chemical makeup has fingered Carn Goedog as the true home of at least 55 percent of those used at Stonehenge, according to Planet Earth.
In 2011, Bevins` team pinpointed the source of another of type of Stonehenge`s bluestones, called rhyolites, about two miles away from Carn Goedog at Craig Rhos y Felin.
And if those are the true origins, "it does bring into question the stones being transported by rafts down to the Bristol Channel, because both of these outcrops lie on the northern side of the Preseli Hills," meaning they would have to be dragged across the hills` summits to access the water.
The research is published in the Journal of Archaeological Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP