First ever pic of `photosynthesis in action` revealed
Washington: A new study has shown the first snapshots of photosynthesis in action as it splits water into protons, electrons and oxygen, the process that maintains Earth`s oxygen atmosphere.
Petra Fromme, lead author of the research said that this study is the first step towards their ultimate goal of unraveling the secrets of water splitting and obtaining molecular movies of biomolecules.
In photosynthesis, oxygen is produced at a special metal site containing four manganese atoms and one calcium atom connected together as a metal cluster, which is bound to the protein PSII that catalyzes the light driven process of water splitting and requires four light flashes to extract one molecule of oxygen from two water molecules bound to the metal cluster.
The goal of development of an "artificial leaf" of the ASU Center for Bio-Inspired Solar Fuel Production, which was the main supporter of this study, can now be achieved on the basis of this revelation of the mechanism of this water splitting process.
Fromme states that the trick is to use the world`s most powerful X-ray laser, named LCLS located at the Department of Energy`s SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, which works on a principle called `diffraction before destruction, where extremely fast femtosecond (10 -15 second) laser pulses record snapshots of the PSII crystals before they explode in the X-ray beam.
In this way, snapshots of the process of water splitting are obtained damage free. The ultimate goal of the work is to record molecular movies of water splitting.
This ASU-led study is published today in Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees