First most realistic 3D `brain-like` tissue model created
Washington: Bioengineers have recently created a 3D model that can mimic biochemical and electrophysiological responses like a real brain, which offers new options for understanding brain function, disease and trauma, and treatment in better way.
Tufts University researchers have developed the first complex three-dimensional model made of brain-like cortical tissue that exhibits biochemical and electrophysiological responses and could function in the laboratory for months.
Philip Haydon, Ph.D., said that this model provided a unique opportunity for mapping out real-time neurophysiological events and function studies in the laboratory, monitoring that was prohibitive with humans or animals.
Rather than reconstructing a whole-brain network, the Tufts team created a modular design that replicated fundamental features most relevant to the brain`s tissue-level physiological functions and each module combined two materials with different properties.
David Kaplan, Ph.D., said that work was underway to further develop the model and it could potentially be applied to study brain structure-function, drug screening, impact of electrodes and implants on brain function, disease formation and treatments, and the effects of nutrition and toxicants.
The research is reported in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers