Flying squids faster than Usain Bolt
London: Researchers in Japan have calculated that a squid can fly through the air faster than Usain Bolt can run.
A study based on photographs of flying squid in the Pacific Ocean estimates that they can reach a speed of up to 11.2 metres per second, which is significantly faster than the 10.31 metres per second that Bolt averaged in the 100 metre final at the London Olympics, the Independent reported.
Over the past few years, a number of anecdotal accounts have emerged of squid streaking through the air above the sea for several metres, and now a team of Japanese marine biologists have photographed them doing it en masse.
The squid, which normally swims backwards through the water using its fins, can eject water through a nozzle near its head as a form of jet propulsion in emergencies. It is this technique they use to glide through the air like flying fish.
The researchers were following a shoal of about 100 members of the Japanese flying squid family in the north-west Pacific Ocean, about 370 miles from Tokyo, when they started photographing them shooting out of the water and gliding for several metres with their fins extended.
"Once they finish shooting out the water, they glide by spreading out their fins and tentacles. The fins and the web between the tentacles create aerodynamic lift and keep the squid stable on its flight arc," Professor Jun Yamamoto, of Hokkaido University said.
"We have discovered that squid do not just jump out of the water, but have a highly developed flying posture. This finding means that we should no longer consider squid as things that live only in the water.
"It is highly possible that they are also a source of food for sea birds," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail