Fossilized claw marks suggest dinosaurs were great swimmers
Washington: A researcher from the University of Alberta has discovered the most compelling evidence yet that two-legged dinosaurs could swim for long distances.
Working together with an international research team, U of A graduate student Scott Persons examined unusual claw marks left on a river bottom in China that is known to have been a major travel-way for dinosaurs.
Alongside easily identified fossilized footprints of many Cretaceous era animals including giant long neck dinosaur`s researchers found a series of claw marks that Persons says indicates a coordinated, left-right, left-right progression.
"What we have are scratches left by the tips of a two-legged dinosaur`s feet," said Persons. "The dinosaur`s claw marks show it was swimming along in this river and just its tippy toes were touching bottom."
The claw marks cover a distance of 15 meters which the researchers say is evidence of a dinosaur`s ability to swim with coordinated leg movements. The tracks were made by carnivorous theropod dinosaur that is estimated to have stood roughly 1 meter at the hip.
Fossilized rippling and evidence of mud cracks indicate that over 100 million years ago the river, in what is now China`s Szechuan Province, went through dry and wet cycles. The river bed, which Persons describes as a "dinosaur super-highway" has yielded plenty of full foot prints of other theropods and gigantic four-legged sauropods.
With just claw scratches on the river bottom to go with, Persons says the exact identity of the paddling dinosaur can`t be determined, but he suspects it could have been an early tyrannosaur or a Sinocalliopteryx. Both species of predators were known to have been in that area of China.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler