Freezing Android phones can reveal confidential contents: Study
London: German security researchers have found that freezing an Android phone can help reveal its confidential contents.
The research team at Erlangen`s Friedrich-Alexander University (FAU) froze phones for an hour as a way to get around the encryption system that protects the data on a phone by scrambling it, reports the BBC.
The attack allowed the researchers to get at contact lists, browsing histories and photos.
The team said that Android`s data scrambling system was good for end users but a "nightmare" for law enforcement and forensics workers.
Researchers Tilo Muller, Michael Spreitzenbarth and Felix Freiling put Android phone s in a freezer for an hour until the device had cooled to below -10C.
They discovered that quickly connecting and disconnecting the battery of a frozen phone forced the handset into a vulnerable mode, which helped them restart it with some custom-built software rather than its Android operating system.
The software helped them copy data on a phone that could then be analysed on a separate computer.
The German research group is now working on defences against the attack that ensures encryption keys are never put in vulnerable memory chips. Instead they are only used in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested