Frozen embryo technique could save dying species
Washington: A technique that brought forth Klondike, a beagle-labrador retriever mix from a frozen embryo, could help preserve dying species such as the red wolf, say researchers.
The nine-month-old Klondike, unlike his canine cousins, is perhaps the world`s first puppy born of a frozen embryo.
The dog`s beagle mother was fertilized using artificial insemination. The resulting embryos were collected and frozen until Klondike`s surrogate mother, also a beagle, was ready to receive the embryo.
Conducted by the researchers at the Cornell`s Baker Institute for Animal Health and the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, the process of freezing materials such as fertilized eggs - cryopreservation - provides researchers with a tool to repopulate endangered species.
Because dogs` cycle are able to sustain a pregnancy only once or twice a year, being able to freeze canine embryos is especially important to coordinate timing for transfer into the surrogates, according to a Cornell-Smithsonian statement.
"Reproduction in dogs is remarkably different than in other mammals," said Alex Travis, Baker faculty member and director of Cornell`s campus-wide Centre for Wildlife Conservation.
This research is funded in part by the National Institutes of Health, Cornell`s Baker Institute and the Smithsonian Institution, and is part of a new, joint programme to train the next generation of scientists to solve real world problems in conservation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video