Functional importance of dinosaur beaks revealed
Washington: Scientists used high-resolution X-ray computed tomography (CT scanning) and computer simulations to take a closer look at the dinosaur beaks.
The focus of the study by Dr Stephan Lautenschlager and Dr Emily Rayfield of the University of Bristol with Dr Perle Altangerel (National University of Ulaanbaatar) and Professor Lawrence Witmer (Ohio University) was the skull of Erlikosaurus andrewsi, a 3-4m (10-13ft) large herbivorous dinosaur called a therizinosaur, which lived more than 90 million years ago during the Cretaceous Period in what is now Mongolia, and which shows evidence that part of its snout was covered by a keratinous beak.
This new study reveals that keratinous beaks played an important role in stabilizing the skeletal structure during feeding, making the skull less susceptible to bending and deformation.
Lead author Lautenschlager of Bristol`s School of Earth Sciences said that it has classically been assumed that beaks evolved to replace teeth and thus save weight, as a requirement for the evolution of flight.
He said that their results indicated that keratin beaks were in fact beneficial to enhance the stability of the skull during biting and feeding.
Co-author Dr Emily Rayfield, Reader of Palaeobiology at Bristol said that by using Finite Element Analysis, a computer modelling technique routinely used in engineering, they were able to deduce very accurately how bite and muscle forces affected the skull of Erlikosaurus during the feeding process.
She said that this further allowed them to identify the importance of soft-tissue structures, like the keratinous beak, which are normally not preserved in fossils.
Co-author Lawrence Witmer , Chang Professor of Paleontology at the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine said that beaks evolved several times during the transitions from dinosaurs to modern birds, usually accompanied by the partial or complete loss of teeth and their study showed that keratin-covered beaks represented a functional innovation during dinosaur evolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate