Genetic blueprint of wheat unlocked to boost production
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: Here is some good news for farmers as researchers have cracked genetic blueprint of wheat.
Wheat is one of the world`s most important cereal grain crops as it is grown across most of the world`s farmland and is the staple diet of most of the population than any other cereal.
The achievement is expected to increase wheat yields, help feed the world and speed up development of wheat varieties with enhanced nutritional value. The draft gene map is for a variety called Chinese Spring.
Wheat production worldwide is under threat from climate change and rising demand from a growing human population.
The new research has been published in the journal Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US