Genetic blueprint of wheat unlocked to boost production
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: Here is some good news for farmers as researchers have cracked genetic blueprint of wheat.
Wheat is one of the world`s most important cereal grain crops as it is grown across most of the world`s farmland and is the staple diet of most of the population than any other cereal.
The achievement is expected to increase wheat yields, help feed the world and speed up development of wheat varieties with enhanced nutritional value. The draft gene map is for a variety called Chinese Spring.
Wheat production worldwide is under threat from climate change and rising demand from a growing human population.
The new research has been published in the journal Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH