Genetic blueprint of wheat unlocked to boost production
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: Here is some good news for farmers as researchers have cracked genetic blueprint of wheat.
Wheat is one of the world`s most important cereal grain crops as it is grown across most of the world`s farmland and is the staple diet of most of the population than any other cereal.
The achievement is expected to increase wheat yields, help feed the world and speed up development of wheat varieties with enhanced nutritional value. The draft gene map is for a variety called Chinese Spring.
Wheat production worldwide is under threat from climate change and rising demand from a growing human population.
The new research has been published in the journal Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore