Giant squids are all of one species
Washington: Giant squid, which can grow to an astounding 43 feet long, have equally extraordinary DNA, a new study has revealed.
The long-awaited research finds that there is "exceptionally low" genetic diversity among giant squid from around the world, Discovery News reported.
"These observations are consistent with the hypotheses that there is only one global species of giant squid, Architeuthis dux," Inger Winkelmann and colleagues, who suggested that the squid could have one of the largest known ranges of any species, wrote.
Little is known about giant squid, which can live some 3,300 feet below the surface.
Mostly we know about them from fantasy adventure books, like `20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,` and images of them dead, with their long tentacles dangling far beyond the picture frame.
Giant squid are rarely captured alive, with most found stranded on beaches or seen floating dead on the water`s surface. Unfortunately, some are also retrieved by fisheries as by-catch.
Winkelmann, from the University of Copenhagen`s Natural History Museum of Denmark, and colleagues studied the mitochondrial genome of tissue samples from 43 such giant squid.
"Mitochondrial" refers to a type of DNA inherited only through the female line.
The squid came from all over the world, including waters off of California, Florida, Spain, Japan and New Zealand.
Incredibly, all had the same basic mitochondrial genomes.
If there is just one giant squid species, as the researchers suspect, then adults must travel huge distances. Younger squid might disperse via drifting.
Giant squid might also be more plentiful than previously thought. But the lack of genetic diversity could make this species more vulnerable to human impact.
The study is published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion