Glitter nail polish new weapon to protect data
Washington: Security experts have discovered a new secret weapon to ensure your laptop and other devices are not tampered with - glitter nail polish.
Security researchers Eric Michaud and Ryan Lackey said glitter nail polish can help people know when their machines have been physically tampered with and potentially compromised.
Physical tampering with machines is a growing problem. While drive encryption, strong passwords and software-based measures might keep causal thieves out, travelling offers many ways for prying eyes to physically compromise a laptop, Lackey and Michaud noted.
Many people affix tamper-proof seals over ports and screws but these seals can in fact be replicated or opened cleanly in minutes by anyone with even minimal training, the researchers said during a presentation at the Chaos Communication Congress in Germany.
Glitter nail polish can create a seal that is impossible to copy. Once applied, it has what effectively is a random pattern. Once painted over screws or onto stickers placed over ports, it is difficult to replicate once broken, `Wired` magazine reported.
Experts recommend using your smartphone to take a picture of the laptop with the seals applied before leaving it alone, taking another photo upon returning and using a software programme to shift rapidly between the two images to compare them.
Even very small differences - a screw that is in a very slightly different position, or glitter nail polish that has a very slightly different pattern of sparkle ? will be evident.
Astronomers use a similar technique called blink comparison to detect small changes in the night sky, researchers said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged