God particle pioneers win Spanish award
Madrid: British physicist Peter Higgs, Belgian Francois Englert and CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, have won Spain`s Prince of Asturias Award for Scientific and Technical Research.
Higgs and Englert, who worked alongside the late Robert Brout, in 1964 first developed the theory on the subatomic particle, known as the "God Particle", Xinhua reported.
The existence of this "God Particle", was confirmed by the CERN last year with experiments in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
Higgs, born in 1929, has a long and distinguished career as a physicist behind him and has won many awards, including the High Energy and Particle Physics Prizein 1997, the Wolf Prize in Physics in 2004 and the Nonino Prize in 2013.
Englert, who is three years younger than Higgs, is currently affiliated with the Institute for Quantum Studies at Chapman University in California.
CERN is an international and inter-governmental organisation based in Geneva, and made up of 20 member states. It opened in 1954 and employs around 2,500 people directly, while a further 8,000 scientists of 85 nationalities from 580 universities help with its projects.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview