Healthy debate required on biotechnology: Anwar
New Delhi: Considering biotechnology to be area of focus in improving farm productivity, Union Minister of State for Agriculture Tariq Anwar Thursday said there is a need for "healthy scientific debate" on the issue.
"Bio-Technology is expected to play a major role in improving productivity. There is need for a healthy scientific debate on the whole topic since it has been contentious not only in India but across the world with strong opinions being expressed on both sides of the debate," Anwar said.
He was speaking at the conference on "Future of Food Governance" organised by the Governance Now in association with Association of Biotechnology Led Enterprises (ABLE).
Anwar added that there is need for robust regulatory system which has scientifically established mechanism for evaluation of genetically modified (GM) crops so that all the issues raised on this matter can be put to rest.
Speaking at the same event, Additional Secretary in Ministry of Agriculture Dalip Singh said,"With the growing population and increasing demand of food, Biotechnology is where future lies."
The government has allowed commercial cultivation of Bt cotton, while moratorium has been put on Bt brinjal.
Permission has been given to private companies to conduct field trials of GM crops such as cotton, corn and maize in Punjab, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat.
However, a technical committee appointed by the Supreme Court had recently recommended an indefinite moratorium on open field trials of GM crops till the deficiencies in the regulatory and safety systems are effectively addressed.
"There were similar fears were expressed at the time of launch of Bt cotton, now its success speaks for itself, to meet the increasing demand there is need to embrace the bio-technology," ABLE Executive Director Nadoor Seetharama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials