`Higgs boson` near confirmed: CERN scientists
Geneva: The CERN physics research centre on Thursday announced that it is now confident that physicists have discovered the long-sought subatomic particle called `Higgs boson`.
According to the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, the elementary particle was discovered in the Large Hadron Collider last summer and its analysis "strongly indicates" that what they found last year was a version of what is popularly referred to as the "God particle".
CERN physicist Joe Incandela said in a statement that "it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson though we still have a long way to go to know what kind of Higgs boson it is."
The long-theorized subatomic particle would explain why matter has mass. It is considered a missing cornerstone of physics.
Last July scientists with the world`s largest atom-smasher announced finding a particle they described as Higgs-like.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents