Honeybees came from Asia, not Africa: Study
Zee Media Bureau
London: Contrary to the general belief that honeybees originated from Africa, a new research indicates that the species actually came from Asia.
Researchers present the first global analysis of genome variation in honeybees in a study, which was published in the journal Nature Genetics. The new findings show a surprisingly high level of genetic diversity in them.
According to the researchers, honeybee (Apis mellifera) derived from an ancient lineage of cavity-nesting bees that arrived from Asia around 300,000 years ago and rapidly spread across Europe and Africa.
“The findings indicate that high levels of inbreeding are not a major cause of global colony losses”, said Matthew Webster, a researcher from Uppsala University, Sweden.
The team also identified specific mutations in genes important in adaptation to factors such as climate and pathogens, including those involved in morphology, behaviour and innate immunity.
“The evolutionary tree we constructed from genome sequences does not support an origin in Africa. This gives us new insight into how honeybees spread and became adapted to habitats across the world," Webster noted.
The study also revealed that climate change has strongly impacted honeybee populationsin the past.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you