How dinosaurs had sex without hurting each other
London: With all that bony armour and spiky tails thrashing about, sex must have been a risky business for dinosaurs, which ruled the Earth for 135million years, according to scientists.
For most animals, the male mounts the female from behind.
But, according to scientists, this would be hard for creatures weighing up to 25 tons and surely impossible for the likes of stegosaurus, with its stiff, spiky tail, the Sun reported.
The females could not raise their tails because the bones at the top end were fused, said Dinosaur expert Brian Switek, whose book My Beloved Brontosaurus is out in May.
And some species had lethal spikes on their backs that would have been impossible to get past, he said.
To shed light on their sex life, Heinrich Mallison of Berlin`s Museum Of Natural History has designed computer programs modelling how dinosaurs made out.
He found that the males of many species would risk CASTRATION if they ever tried to mount their females from behind.
These prickly dinosaurs must have had sex another way, he said. Perhaps the female lay down on her side and the male reared up to rest his torso over her.
Other species would have used different positions, like backing up to each other, he stated.
According to Switek, the Dino Sutra may have had four main positions.
Rear mounting, as most mammals do today would be suitable for some lighter dinosaurs and those without spikes on their backs, such as the velociraptor.
For example, a safety-first side-on method would have avoided swipes by a stray tail for a stegosaurus.
A tricky rear-to-rear technique could be possible for the kentrosaurus if the male could swivel his neck to see where he was aiming.
And some females may have rolled on to their backs for missionary-style coupling. Tyrannosaurus rex may have mated this way.
However, not all experts agree with Switek.
Some suggested that the dinosaurs` secret was to develop massively long penises.
Prof John Long of South Australia`s Flinders University believe that a 33ft-long ankylosaurus, with spikes and armour, would have had a 6FT 6IN penis to bridge the gap when close to a female.
But it is difficult to find evidence for this theory, as the fossil record is very poor when it comes to penises.
"Soft tissues are seldom preserved during fossilisation. We have never found a fossilised phallus. Doing so would solve many mysteries," said Prof Long.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in