How life originated on Earth?
Washington: Researchers have now offered an intriguing new view about how life began on Earth.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine biochemist Charles Carter, PhD, and his team recreated ancient protein enzymes that likely played a vital role in helping create life on Earth.
The research team created and superimposed digital three-dimensional versions of the two super-families to see how their structures aligned.
Carter found that all the enzymes have virtually identical cores that can be extracted to produce `molecular fossils` he calls Urzymes - Ur meaning earliest or original. The other parts, he said, are variations that were introduced later, as evolution unfolded.
These two Urzymes are as close as scientists have gotten to the actual ancient enzymes that would have populated the Earth billions of years ago.
Both Urzymes are very good at accelerating the two reactions necessary to translate the genetic code.
The finding also suggests that Urzymes evolved from even simpler ancestors - tiny proteins called peptides. And over time those peptides co-evolved with RNA to give rise to more complex life forms.
In this `Peptide-RNA World` scenario, RNA would have contained the instructions for life while peptides would have accelerated key chemical reactions to carry out those instructions.
The study has been published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3