How life originated on Earth?
Washington: Researchers have now offered an intriguing new view about how life began on Earth.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine biochemist Charles Carter, PhD, and his team recreated ancient protein enzymes that likely played a vital role in helping create life on Earth.
The research team created and superimposed digital three-dimensional versions of the two super-families to see how their structures aligned.
Carter found that all the enzymes have virtually identical cores that can be extracted to produce `molecular fossils` he calls Urzymes - Ur meaning earliest or original. The other parts, he said, are variations that were introduced later, as evolution unfolded.
These two Urzymes are as close as scientists have gotten to the actual ancient enzymes that would have populated the Earth billions of years ago.
Both Urzymes are very good at accelerating the two reactions necessary to translate the genetic code.
The finding also suggests that Urzymes evolved from even simpler ancestors - tiny proteins called peptides. And over time those peptides co-evolved with RNA to give rise to more complex life forms.
In this `Peptide-RNA World` scenario, RNA would have contained the instructions for life while peptides would have accelerated key chemical reactions to carry out those instructions.
The study has been published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth