How life originated on Earth?
Washington: Researchers have now offered an intriguing new view about how life began on Earth.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine biochemist Charles Carter, PhD, and his team recreated ancient protein enzymes that likely played a vital role in helping create life on Earth.
The research team created and superimposed digital three-dimensional versions of the two super-families to see how their structures aligned.
Carter found that all the enzymes have virtually identical cores that can be extracted to produce `molecular fossils` he calls Urzymes - Ur meaning earliest or original. The other parts, he said, are variations that were introduced later, as evolution unfolded.
These two Urzymes are as close as scientists have gotten to the actual ancient enzymes that would have populated the Earth billions of years ago.
Both Urzymes are very good at accelerating the two reactions necessary to translate the genetic code.
The finding also suggests that Urzymes evolved from even simpler ancestors - tiny proteins called peptides. And over time those peptides co-evolved with RNA to give rise to more complex life forms.
In this `Peptide-RNA World` scenario, RNA would have contained the instructions for life while peptides would have accelerated key chemical reactions to carry out those instructions.
The study has been published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Libya parliament rejects UN-backed unity government
- Ind vs WI: Day 5 washed out, Virat Kohli & co win series 2-0 but lose top ranking
- John Kerry urges deployment of South Sudan protection force
- BSF troops deployed in J&K after 12 years
- Authorities initiate action to evict Payal Abdullah from J&K govt bungalow in Delhi