Hubble telescope inspired tech helps restore eyesight
Washington: NASA`s telescopes are not just helping us look into the dark deep universe but have inspired surgeons to restore the eyesight of an elderly.
Phyllis Price, a 79-year old woman can see again after mini magnifying glasses inspired by the Hubble Space Telescope were placed inside her eyes.
Price had suffered from macular degeneration for years and had not even been able to recognise members of her own family for years.
"The difference in my sight is amazing. I lost all my confidence I could no longer read or sew and could only recognise people by voice," Phyllis was quoted as saying.
During the operation, two lenses, 2mm apart, were placed into Phyllis` eyes.
The tiny telescopes inserted in her eyes, magnified the images and also directed them away from diseased parts of the eye and onto healthier areas.
"I went to a restaurant shortly after having the implant in my second eye, and could read a menu for the first time in two years," Price added.
The surgery was performed at the London Eye Hospital by surgeon Bobby Qureshi, the Mirror reported.
This "giant leap" in medical science holds hope to an optical disease that affects hundreds of thousands of elderly people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video