Hummingbird shakes `the fastest`
London: An ultra-slow-motion camera has helped show that the hummingbird is not only the fastest moving living thing on Earth but is also the fastest shaker.
The camera, which is capable of capturing images at up to 650,000 frames per second, caught the birds shimmying at a rate that was 10 times faster than a dog after it takes a bath.
Andreas Pena Doll and Rivers Ingersoll, both students in David Lentink`s lab at Stanford University, captured Anna`s hummingbirds shaking their tiny bodies 55 times per second while they were in flight, New Scientist reported.
Lentink observed that it is the fastest shake by any vertebrate on Earth.
Pena Doll said that the shimmy done in dry weather could remove pollen or dirt from their feathers similar to the way a wet shake removes water.
The study will be published in the Journal for Biomechanics of Flight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic