Hummingbird shakes `the fastest`
London: An ultra-slow-motion camera has helped show that the hummingbird is not only the fastest moving living thing on Earth but is also the fastest shaker.
The camera, which is capable of capturing images at up to 650,000 frames per second, caught the birds shimmying at a rate that was 10 times faster than a dog after it takes a bath.
Andreas Pena Doll and Rivers Ingersoll, both students in David Lentink`s lab at Stanford University, captured Anna`s hummingbirds shaking their tiny bodies 55 times per second while they were in flight, New Scientist reported.
Lentink observed that it is the fastest shake by any vertebrate on Earth.
Pena Doll said that the shimmy done in dry weather could remove pollen or dirt from their feathers similar to the way a wet shake removes water.
The study will be published in the Journal for Biomechanics of Flight.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference