IBM supercomputer goes to college, to get smarter
Washington: Tech giant IBM is hoping to make its supercomputer "Watson" a bit more well-rounded and announced it was sending a version of the supercomputer to college to take Math and English courses.
The supercomputer has beaten top human contestants on America TV game show "Jeopardy!”.
"The notion here is that we want to take the Watson system and get it into the university academic world," Michael Henesey, vice president of business development for IBM Research, was quoted as saying by InformationWeek.
Watson, which is reportedly IBM`s smartest computer, will attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in Troy, New York.
The college received a three-year grant from IBM to work on projects that in addition to improving Watson`s math and conversational language skills, will also work to advance the system`s ability to process the massive amount of images, videos and other content found on the internet.
Cognitive systems like Watson learn through interactions, IBM said.
The system is able to quickly process large amounts of information including textbooks, encyclopaedias, and movie scripts as it did in 2011 in preparation for its triumphant "Jeopardy!" competition.
The system is also able to answer questions asked during normal human conversations, something researchers at RPI are hoping to advance by teaching it new words.
"Currently, Watson`s fact-finding prowess is being applied to crucial fields, such as healthcare, where IBM is collaborating with medical providers," officials with RPI said.
This technology allows physicians to make faster, more accurate diagnoses, they said.
While IBM is hoping researchers will find new and useful ways to use Watson, the computer`s time at college will also benefit RPI students.
Representatives from IBM said in a statement that working on Watson will prepare students for future jobs working in the areas of cognitive science, big data collection, and analytics.
"The system will be an unprecedented platform to help students and faculty meet the challenge of our university`s motto, `Why Not Change the World?`" RPI president Shirley Ann Jackson said.
Similar to its famous predecessor, RPI`s version of the Watson system can store up to 15 terabytes of hard disk storage space and will allow up to 20 users to access the system at a time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in