ICAR to have research chair in honour of Dr Norman Borlaug
New Delhi: The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) today said it will establish a special National Professorial Chair in honour of Nobel laureate Dr Norman Borlaug, globally known as the father of green revolution.
"Director General of ICAR S Ayyappan thanked BGRI for choosing India as a venue for this year’s conference and announced the establishment of a special National Professorial Chair in the name of Dr Borlaug," an official statement also said.
Ayyappan was speaking at the closing ceremony of the four-day technical workshop organised by the Borlaug Global Rust Initiative (BGRI) in association with ICAR.
The workshop began on August 19 here to discuss the challenges in protecting wheat crop from stem rust and yellow rust diseases.
The ceremony also featured a panel session in which farmers who had met and worked with Borlaug during the early years of the green revolution shared their memories of him.
Speaking at the ceremony Ronnie Coffman, Vice-Chair, BGRI and Director of International Programme at Cornell University, announced that they would formulate an official communicate to address the problems faced in the free flow of research material.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman