In ancient male polar bears `size did matter`
Washington: Ancient polar bears with surprisingly large penis bones suggest that they had infrequent but long-lasting sex sessions, it has been revealed.
According to researchers who studied a collection of penis bones from an extinct species of bear, named Indarctos arctoides, the penis bone size mattered to ancient bears as the females assessed their mates on the basis of their size, Discovery News reported.
Penis bone, formally called a `bacula`, which helps animals keep their penises erect for intercourse, doesn`t exist in the bone structure of the human man, but it is found in many other mammals, including chimpanzees and gorillas.
The researchers found penis bones in five fossils that belonged to the large primitive bear, which roamed Europe during the Late Miocene, in the Madrid Basin in Spain.
According to the study led by paleobiologist Juan Abella, of the Autonomous University of Barcelona, the fossil record prove that the male Indarctos arctoides was much larger than the female, which is in contradiction with previous research that suggested that bear species with strong sex differences tend to have shorter penis bones and mating systems.
However, the relatively long bacula measuring 9.1 inches suggests that it was a sexually selected trait that females used to assess mate quality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi