India only country with supersonic cruise missile: Scientist
Ahmedabad: India is the only country to have a supersonic cruise missile, the BrahMos, while others are struggling to build one, said a top scientist associated with the development the country`s missile programme.
Out of the box thinking had seen India develop the missile in collaboration with Russia, chief controller (R&D), DRDO and CEO and MD of BrahMos Aerospace, Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, said here today as he delivered the 35th Dr Vikaram Sarabhai Memorial Lecture.
"During the war of US with Iraq`s Saddam Hussein, western countries used the Tomahawk cruise missile," Pillai said.
"On the first night of the war, the US launched more than 1,000 cruise missile, destroying the air defence system of Iraq. Then the war was won after fighter planes were able to bomb that country at will," he said.
Tomahawk missiles are subsonic and cannot travel faster than sound, he said.
"We thought of doing something out of the box with the cruise missile and decided to have supersonic cruise missiles which can travel faster than the speed of sound. Russia was also working on it and we formed a joint venture. After years of hard work, we developed, tested and successfully produced the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile," he said.
"These have been inducted into our army and it is the only army in the world with such missiles. Other countries are still struggling to make a supersonic cruise missile," the scientist, who was involved with the development of the project, said.
Cruise missiles which travel at a low altitude and at supersonic speeds, are very dangerous for the enemy, he said.
The range of the missile is 300km and it is available in sea and land versions while another type was being developed for launch from fighter planes, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing