Indian American develops stain-proof surfaces
Washington: Researchers, led by an Indian American, have edged closer to stain-proof, spill-proof clothing, protective garments and other products that shrug off virtually every liquid, from blood and ketchup to acids, thanks to `superomniphobic` surfaces.
Anish Tuteja, assistant professor of material science and engineering, University of Michigan, who did his B.E. in chemical engineering from Panjab University, India, in 2001 and colleagues point out that scientists have previously reported "omniphobic" surfaces that prevent different liquids from spreading on them by forming into beads.
But typically liquids such as some oils and alcohols can stick to those surfaces.
Further, scientists have mostly focused on making surfaces that repel only one of the two families of liquids, according to a Michigan statement.
Tuteja`s team set out to do the same for other class of liquids, which include blood, curd, gravy, various polymer solutions and a range of other liquids.
They say that virtually all liquids easily roll off and bounce on the new surfaces, which they have developed, ideal for protecting fabrics from the effects of chemicals, the Journal of the American Chemical Society reports.
The scientists conclude that the surfaces will ensure stain-free clothing, spill-resistant, breathable protective wear, surfaces that shrug off microbes like bacteria and corrosion-resistant coatings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!