Indian-origin journalist wins inaugural Physics Journalism Prize
Washington: Anil Ananthaswamy, a consultant at New Scientist Magazine and author of "The Edge of Physics," has bagged the inaugural Physics Journalism Prize -- a prize designed to inspire the next generation of physicists by encouraging journalists to grapple with often complex topics and help spread excitement about the subject.
He won the prize for his article "Hip Hip Array," which focuses on the Square Kilometre Array, an international project to design and build the largest radio telescope ever conceived.
The prize is sponsored by the Institute of Physics (IOP) and the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).
Anil will be congratulated, Thursday 28 February 2013, at an IOP reception in Central London, which follows this year`s Newton Lecture by the Astronomer Royal, Lord Martin Rees of Ludlow, entitled "From Mars to the Multiverse."
"Anil Ananthaswamy is being awarded the prize for writing a feature which brings one of the world`s most exciting astronomical endeavors to life -- the Square Kilometre Array," said Professor Sir Peter Knight, President of IOP.
"I`m delighted that we`re able to honour his writing on this occasion, shortly after we hear from one of the UK`s leading astronomical luminaries," he stated.
The Physics Journalism Award offers the prize of an expenses paid trip to Japan, to visit world-leading facilities carrying out research at the frontiers of physics.
On winning, Anil said, "Writing about physics, especially about the work being done in remote, difficult and sometimes hostile environments, is a special pleasure. Winning an award for doing what I love to do is just icing on the cake. I truly appreciate the recognition."
Meanwhile Zeeya Merali, a freelance science journalist based in Canterbury, received a special mention and a 250-pound prize for her Discover article, "Gravity Off the Grid," an article about Julian Barbour, a British physicist who has spent his life arguing against Einstein`s view of gravity, space and time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued