Indian-origin researcher developing robots with `brains`
Washington: A Indian-origin researcher has developed a new feedback system that allows robots to operate with minimal supervision, and can lead to making of a robot capable of learning or even become autonomous.
Developed by Dr. Jagannathan Sarangapani, makes use of current formation moving robots and introduces a fault-tolerant control design to improve the probability of completing a set task.
The new feedback system allows a "follower" robot to take over as the "leader" robot if the original leader has a system or mechanical failure. In a leader/follower formation, the lead robot is controlled through a nonholonomic system, meaning that the trajectory is set in advance, and the followers are tracing the same pattern that the leader takes by using sonar.
When a problem occurs and roles need to change to continue, the fault tolerant control system comes into use. It uses reinforcement learning and active critique, both inspired by behaviorist psychology to show how machines act in environments to maximize work rate, to help the new, unmanned robot to estimate its new course.
Without this, the follower wouldn`t have a path to follow and the task would fail.
The innovative research can be applied to robotic security surveillance, mining and even aerial manoeuvring.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis