Indian-origin scientist develops paper microscope
New York: An Indian-American scientist Manu Prakash from Stanford University has developed an incredibly low-cost microscope made almost entirely out of paper.
The microscope, known as The Foldscope because of its design, comes in three parts - a slip of paper which acts as the slide on which the specimen is kept, a slide for the ball-shaped lens, and a piece that contains an LED light, to help illuminate the subject being examined.
The Foldscope can be shipped in a flat configuration and assembled in minutes.
Dr Prakash, an assistant professor, physicist, and bioengineer at Stanford University, and his team at the university hope that the microscope’s size and inexpensiveness will make it widely used in areas where such technology is not readily available.
“We have a very simple goal that every single kid in the world should grow up with a microscope,” Prakash was quoted as saying in The Stanford Daily.
“We should all be carrying around microscopes in our pocket all the time,” he added.
Prakash, who was born in Meerut in a middle-class family, earned a BTech from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, in computer science and engineering in 2002.
He did his PhD in 2008 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and has had three scientific studies published by peer-reviewed journals since 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31