Indian student in UAE readies for NASA launch of experiments
Dubai: The experiments of an eleven-year-old Indian student in the UAE would be launched into space under a NASA programme, a media report said.
Prerna Pai, a seventh grade student in Sharjah, has got two of her experiments approved for launch into space June 26 under NASA`s Cubes in Space (CIS) programme for budding young scientists, Gulf News reported Friday.
Pai, an aspiring scientist, has been regularly participating in NASA student activities such as studying the solar flare last year. She also features in the space agency`s mailing list, the report said.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) launched its CIS programme in May in partnership with Rubik Learning Initiative, idoodle software and the Colorado Space Grant Consortium’s RockSat-C programme.
CIS is an international educational programme for school children that teaches them how to design STEM experiments for launch into space and a total of 75 American students and 25 students from the rest of the world were selected for the current launch.
STEM refers to the academic disciplines of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
"I had to think a lot when I learned about this contest and sent them (NASA) many proposals. My science teacher has always encouraged me to think out of the box and that inspired me," the report quoted Pai as saying.
Pai submitted two experiments that she called `To stick or not to stick` and `time and pressure`.
The first experiment is about studying the manner in which different adhesives are likely to behave in space in the absence of atmospheric pressure, the report said.
The second experiment involves two tiny bottles -- one made of plastic and the other of glass -- sealed with a modelling clay cork and placed in a cube.
"Once my ideas were selected, NASA sent me a kit into which I had to place my experiments and mail it to them. I was so thrilled by the news that I even dashed off a thank you note to NASA," Pai said.
After knowing the results of the experiment, Pai plans to research the subjects more thoroughly and send the findings back to NASA.
The programme invites students from around the world in the age group of 11-14 to devise experimental payloads for space.
NASA would select 100 designs for launch into space via a sounding rocket at the agency`s Wallops Flight Facility June 26.
A sounding or research rocket carries scientific instruments into space to take measurements along a non-orbiting and parabolic path (trajectory).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'