Is Jesus Christ`s crucifixion wrongly depicted?
London: Is the popular depiction of Jesus Christ`s crucifixion inaccurate?
According to researchers, the Shroud of Turin that shows the impression of a crucified man suggests that he was suspended from a cross in a Y-shape position -- with arms above the head -- and not outstretched horizontally in a `T` shape, as Christ`s crucifixion is popularly depicted.
The Shroud of Turin -- an important artifact from the medieval world -- is a 14-feet-long linen cloth bearing the image of a man who appears to have suffered physical trauma in a manner consistent with crucifixion.
Many Christians believe the Shroud was the cloth that disciples wrapped around Jesus Christ immediately after his death.
According to Matteo Borrini of Liverpool John Moores University, the Shroud of Turin proves that Jesus Christ may have been crucified with his arms above his head -- a much more painful position.
Borrini and Luigi Garlaschelli of University of Pavia, Italy, arrived at this conclusion after analysing the pattern of blood stains on the Shroud of Turin and simulating blood trickling down the arms.
They looked for what crucifixion position would produce the blood stains seen on the shroud.
“The shroud pictured Jesus with his arms above his head in a `Y` position. This would have been a very painful position and one which would have created difficulty breathing,” Borrini was quoted as saying in the journal `New Scientist`.
For centuries, the Church has depicted the crucifixion of Christ with his arms outstretched horizontally on a cross.
While many believe the Shroud of Turin was the cloth wrapped around Christ after his death, there are others who think of it as a relic of a different sort -- a piece of medieval forgery, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video