Jug inscription from King David`s time could shed light on biblical history
Washington: Fresh translation of character imprinted on the side of a 3,000-year-old earthenware jug, dating back to the time of King David, could sheds light on biblical history.
Experts had suspected the fragmentary inscription was written in the language of the Canaanites, a biblical people who lived in the present-day Israel.
Not so, says one expert who claims to have cracked the code: The mysterious language is actually the oldest form of written Hebrew, placing the ancient Israelites in Jerusalem earlier than previously believed.
Ancient Near Eastern history and biblical studies expert Douglas Petrovich told Fox News that Hebrew speakers were controlling Jerusalem in the 10th century, which biblical chronology points to as the time of David and Solomon.
He said that whoever they were, they were writing in Hebrew like they owned the place.
First discovered near the Temple Mount in Jerusalem last year, the 10th century B.C. fragment has been labeled the Ophel Inscription.
It likely bears the name of the jug`s owners and its contents.
If Petrovich`s analysis proves true, it would be evidence of the accuracy of Old Testament tales.
If Hebrew as a written language existed in the 10th century, as he says, the ancient Israelites were recording their history in real time as opposed to writing it down several hundred years later.
That would make the Old Testament an historical account of real-life events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan