Jurassic baby dinosaur discovered in China
Washington: Scientists have discovered the fossilised skeleton of a baby dinosaur representing a new meat-eating species that roamed 161 million years ago during the late Jurassic Period.
Fossil remains found by a George Washington University biologist in northwestern China have been identified as a new species of small theropod, or meat-eating, dinosaur.
The discovery was made by James Clark, the Ronald B Weintraub Professor of Biology, in the Department of Biological Sciences of GW`s Columbian College of Arts and Sciences.
Clark, along with doctoral student Jonah Choiniere and a team of international researchers, found the dinosaur specimen in a remote region of Xinjiang in China in 2006.
In a research paper published in the Journal of Systematic Palaeontology, Clark and Choiniere explain recovering the skull, mandible and partial skeleton of the dinosaur.
The new theropod was an estimated one meter or just over three feet long and probably weighed about three pounds.
"All that was exposed on the surface was a bit of the leg. We were pleasantly surprised to find a skull buried in the rock too," said Clark.
The dinosaur is named Aorun zhaoi, after the Dragon King in the Chinese epic tale Journey to the West. It wasn`t necessarily a small dinosaur species, though, because Aorun was still a youngster when it became a fossil.
"We were able to look at microscopic details of Aorun`s bones and they showed that the animal was less than a year old when it died on the banks of a stream," said Choiniere.
Aorun lived more than 161 million years ago, in the earliest part of the Late Jurassic Period. Its small, numerous teeth suggest that it would have eaten prey like lizards and small relatives of today`s mammals and crocodilians.
This is the fifth new theropod discovered at the Wucaiwan locality by the team, co-led by Clark and Dr Xu Xing of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand