Karnataka govt has open mind on GM crops
Bangalore: Karnataka government has an open mind on the issue of genetically modified crops, and favours giving options for farmers to make informed choices, Agriculture Minister Krishna Byre Gowda said today.
He said Bt cotton, first introduced in the State some one-and-half decades ago, has definitely benefitted farmers to improve yields in an eco-friendly manner. "That`s why farmers have adopted it". As much as 90 per cent of farmers in Karnataka are using Bt cotton seeds.
Agricultural universities based in Dharwad and Raichur are currently working on improving the Bt cotton seeds.
"We must keep our minds open", Byre Gowda said when asked to spell out the new Congress government`s stand on GM crops. "We must give him (farmer) the options; let him choose".
On organic farming, which was aggressively promoted by the previous BJP government, the Minister, in reply to a query, said funds for such initiatives were perhaps misused but added that subject comes under the Horticulture Department, which needs to inquire into it.
The Minister said the government has geared up to supply seeds and fertilisers to farmers. Agriculture department has estimated that for the 2013 Kharif season, 10.68 lakh quintals of seeds would be needed, which had been stocked.
As against the requirement of 24 lakh tonnes of fertilisers, the government has a stock of nine lakh tonnes, which would continuously get replenished, he said.
The Minister advised farmers not to over-use urea just because it was cheap, saying such an approach would bring down soil fertility.
A special squad has been formed to crack down on elements who seek to create "artificial shortage" by hoarding, he said.
Byre Gowda also said though there are many schemes for farmers, the government would focus on those identified among them, rather than trying to implement all of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly