King Richard III `underwent painful treatment for scoliosis`
Washington: King Richard III may not have been a hunchback as portrayed by Shakespeare, but he did suffer from the spine-curving condition scoliosis, and may have undergone painful medical treatments to straighten it out, researchers suggest.
Archaeologists announced in February that bones excavated from underneath a parking lot in Leicester, England, belonged to the medieval king.
Since this confirmation, examination has continued on the bones and historical records, which have suggested the king was a control freak who had a friendly face.
According to Discover News, previous work showed King Richard III likely developed severe scoliosis, a painful condition, in his teen years.
Now, Mary Ann Lund, of the University of Leicester`s School of English, has looked into the types of scoliosis treatments available when Richard III was alive, finding one would have been widely available for those who could afford it, such as the nobility.
Even so, there is no evidence on his bones to support the treatment.
"It wouldn`t necessarily be possible to distinguish such signs," Lund told LiveScience.
"Richard had idiopathic adolescent onset scoliosis, which means that the cause for it is not apparent, and that it developed after the age of about 10. So he would probably have been treated as an adolescent as well as during his adult life," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre