Largest yellow hypergiant star spotted
Washington: Researchers using ESO`s Very Large Telescope Interferometer (VLTI) have found the largest yellow hypergiant star HR 5171 A - 1300 times the diameter of the Sun and much bigger than was expected.
This makes it the largest yellow star known. It is also in the top ten of the largest stars known - 50 per cent larger than the famous red supergiant Betelgeuse - and about one million times brighter than the Sun.
Olivier Chesneau (Observatoire de la Cote d`Azur, Nice, France) said that the new observations also showed that this star has a very close binary partner, which was a real surprise, asserting that the two stars are so close that they touch and the whole system resembles a gigantic peanut.
The astronomers made use of a technique called interferometry to combine the light collected from multiple individual telescopes, effectively creating a giant telescope up to 140 metres in size.
The new results prompted the team to thoroughly investigate older observations of the star spanning more than sixty years, to see how it had behaved in the past.
By analysing data on the star`s varying brightness, using observations from other observatories, the astronomers confirmed the object to be an eclipsing binary system where the smaller component passes in front and behind the larger one as it orbits. In this case HR 5171 A is orbited by its companion star every 1300 days. The smaller companion is only slightly hotter than HR 5171 A`s surface temperature of 5000 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!