Letter revealing DNA structure to be auctioned for 1.2 mn pounds
London: A letter detailing the structure of a DNA that Dr Francis Crick - one of the scientists who discovered it- wrote to his son is set to be sold for 1.2 million pounds in an auction in New York on April 10.
Crick had used the handwritten note, dated March 19 1953, to tell his 12-year-old son Michael that he and his colleague Jim Watson had "probably" made the "most important discovery."
The letter also features a diagram of the helix structure of DNA, which Crick describes as "very beautiful."
"We have built a model for the structure of des-oxy-ribose-nucleic-acid, (read it carefully) called DNA for short," an English news website quoted Crick as writing.
He wrote in the letter that he thought that his team had found the basic copying mechanism by which "life comes from life."
Crick along with James Watson and Maurice Wilkins won the Nobel Prize for physiology and medicine in 1962, for their work on discovering the DNA structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred