Letter revealing DNA structure to be auctioned for 1.2 mn pounds
London: A letter detailing the structure of a DNA that Dr Francis Crick - one of the scientists who discovered it- wrote to his son is set to be sold for 1.2 million pounds in an auction in New York on April 10.
Crick had used the handwritten note, dated March 19 1953, to tell his 12-year-old son Michael that he and his colleague Jim Watson had "probably" made the "most important discovery."
The letter also features a diagram of the helix structure of DNA, which Crick describes as "very beautiful."
"We have built a model for the structure of des-oxy-ribose-nucleic-acid, (read it carefully) called DNA for short," an English news website quoted Crick as writing.
He wrote in the letter that he thought that his team had found the basic copying mechanism by which "life comes from life."
Crick along with James Watson and Maurice Wilkins won the Nobel Prize for physiology and medicine in 1962, for their work on discovering the DNA structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!