Letter revealing DNA structure to be auctioned for 1.2 mn pounds
London: A letter detailing the structure of a DNA that Dr Francis Crick - one of the scientists who discovered it- wrote to his son is set to be sold for 1.2 million pounds in an auction in New York on April 10.
Crick had used the handwritten note, dated March 19 1953, to tell his 12-year-old son Michael that he and his colleague Jim Watson had "probably" made the "most important discovery."
The letter also features a diagram of the helix structure of DNA, which Crick describes as "very beautiful."
"We have built a model for the structure of des-oxy-ribose-nucleic-acid, (read it carefully) called DNA for short," an English news website quoted Crick as writing.
He wrote in the letter that he thought that his team had found the basic copying mechanism by which "life comes from life."
Crick along with James Watson and Maurice Wilkins won the Nobel Prize for physiology and medicine in 1962, for their work on discovering the DNA structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers