Letter revealing DNA structure to be auctioned for 1.2 mn pounds
London: A letter detailing the structure of a DNA that Dr Francis Crick - one of the scientists who discovered it- wrote to his son is set to be sold for 1.2 million pounds in an auction in New York on April 10.
Crick had used the handwritten note, dated March 19 1953, to tell his 12-year-old son Michael that he and his colleague Jim Watson had "probably" made the "most important discovery."
The letter also features a diagram of the helix structure of DNA, which Crick describes as "very beautiful."
"We have built a model for the structure of des-oxy-ribose-nucleic-acid, (read it carefully) called DNA for short," an English news website quoted Crick as writing.
He wrote in the letter that he thought that his team had found the basic copying mechanism by which "life comes from life."
Crick along with James Watson and Maurice Wilkins won the Nobel Prize for physiology and medicine in 1962, for their work on discovering the DNA structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani