LHC and Tevatron find precise value of top-quark mass
Washington: Scientists working on the world`s leading particle collider experiments joined forces, combined their data and produced the first joint result from Fermilab`s Tevatron and CERN`s Large Hadron Collider (LHC), past and current holders of the record for most powerful particle collider on Earth.
Scientists from the four experiments involved-ATLAS, CDF, CMS and DZero-announced their joint findings on the mass of the top quark today at the Rencontres de Moriond international physics conference in Italy.
Together the four experiments pooled their data analysis power to arrive at a new world`s best value for the mass of the top quark of 173.34 plus/minus 0.76 GeV/c2.
Experiments at the LHC at the CERN laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland and the Tevatron collider at Fermilab near Chicago in Illinois, USA are the only ones that have ever seen top quarks-the heaviest elementary particles ever observed.
The top quark`s huge mass (more than 100 times that of the proton) makes it one of the most important tools in the physicists` quest to understand the nature of the universe.
The new precise value of the top-quark mass will allow scientists to test further the mathematical framework that describes the quantum connections between the top quark, the Higgs particle and the carrier of the electroweak force, the W boson.
Theorists will explore how the new, more precise value will change predictions regarding the stability of the Higgs field and its effects on the evolution of the universe. It will also allow scientists to look for inconsistencies in the Standard Model of particle physics - searching for hints of new physics that will lead to a better understanding of the nature of the universe.
A total of more than six thousand scientists from more than 50 countries participate in the four experimental collaborations. The CDF and DZero experiments discovered the top quark in 1995, and the Tevatron produced about 300,000 top quark events during its 25-year lifetime, completed in 2011. Since it started collider physics operations in 2009, the LHC has produced close to 18 million events with top quarks, making it the world`s leading top quark factory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets