LHC and Tevatron find precise value of top-quark mass
Washington: Scientists working on the world`s leading particle collider experiments joined forces, combined their data and produced the first joint result from Fermilab`s Tevatron and CERN`s Large Hadron Collider (LHC), past and current holders of the record for most powerful particle collider on Earth.
Scientists from the four experiments involved-ATLAS, CDF, CMS and DZero-announced their joint findings on the mass of the top quark today at the Rencontres de Moriond international physics conference in Italy.
Together the four experiments pooled their data analysis power to arrive at a new world`s best value for the mass of the top quark of 173.34 plus/minus 0.76 GeV/c2.
Experiments at the LHC at the CERN laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland and the Tevatron collider at Fermilab near Chicago in Illinois, USA are the only ones that have ever seen top quarks-the heaviest elementary particles ever observed.
The top quark`s huge mass (more than 100 times that of the proton) makes it one of the most important tools in the physicists` quest to understand the nature of the universe.
The new precise value of the top-quark mass will allow scientists to test further the mathematical framework that describes the quantum connections between the top quark, the Higgs particle and the carrier of the electroweak force, the W boson.
Theorists will explore how the new, more precise value will change predictions regarding the stability of the Higgs field and its effects on the evolution of the universe. It will also allow scientists to look for inconsistencies in the Standard Model of particle physics - searching for hints of new physics that will lead to a better understanding of the nature of the universe.
A total of more than six thousand scientists from more than 50 countries participate in the four experimental collaborations. The CDF and DZero experiments discovered the top quark in 1995, and the Tevatron produced about 300,000 top quark events during its 25-year lifetime, completed in 2011. Since it started collider physics operations in 2009, the LHC has produced close to 18 million events with top quarks, making it the world`s leading top quark factory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?