Light brought to complete halt for 1 min
London: The fastest thing in the universe - Light, was brought to a halt for a record-breaking minute.
Thomas Krauss at the University of St Andrews, UK said that the feat was indeed a major milestone, as one minute is extremely a long duration for light to come to a pause.
The feat could allow secure quantum communications to work over long distances, according to New Scientist.
Physicists managed to slow down light, which normally travels at just under 300 million metres per second in a vacuum, to just 17 metres per second in 1999 and then halt it completely two years later, though only for a fraction of a second.
Researchers kept it still for 16 seconds using cold atoms earlier this year.
To break the minute barrier, George Heinze and colleagues at the University of Darmstadt, Germany, fired a control laser at an opaque crystal, sending its atoms into a quantum superposition of two states.
This made it transparent to a narrow range of frequencies.
Heinze`s team then halted a second beam that entered the crystal by switching off the first laser and hence the transparency.
The storage time depends on the crystal`s superposition. A magnetic field extends it but complicates the control laser configuration.
Heinze`s team used an algorithm to "breed" combinations of magnet and laser ,leading them to one that trapped light for a minute.
They also used the trap to store and then retrieve an image consisting of three stripes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read